Communications refers to the use of signals to transfer voice, data, image, and/or video information between locations, the main applications of which are in communications science, engineering, and technology. From the bonfires and smoke signals to early modern optical telegraphs, humankind has attempted to move communication beyond the realm of earshot. Among the first practical uses of electrical engineering, early communication devices included the telegraph, first conceived in the 1700s and realized in 1837 by Charles Wheatstone and William Cooke and by Samuel Morse. Through the next century, advancements in the telephone, radio, television and today's Internet, completely changed the way people communicate and interact with one another.
STARS articles are peer-reviewed articles on the history of major developments in technology. Available in the communications category are:
- Broadcasting - The transmission of audio or video to an audience.
- Communication equipment - This refers to both the hardware and software used for different types of communication.
- Communication methods - Methods used for different types of communication (broadband, mobile, multimedia, etc.) and for different purposes (biomedical, military).
- Communication networks - A network of communication circuits managed as a single unit.
- Communication switching - Used to enable sharing of physical lines of communication.
- Communication systems - Elements of communications systems, such as protocols, quality of service and routing are covered.
- Couplers – Coupling is the transfer of energy from one medium to another.
- Cryptography - the practice and study of secure communications in the presence of third-party
- Fiber optics - Transmitting light through optical fibers
- Image communication - Includes facsimile, picture archiving and communication systems.
- Message systems - Includes postal services and voice mail.
- Multiplexing - The combining of two or more signals into a single wave from which the signals can be individually recovered. Examples include time division multiplexing and frequency division multiplexing.
- Radar - Radio detection and ranging, an object detection system using radio waves
- Radio communication - Includes types (indoor, land mobile, etc.) and aspects (frequency, spectrum management, etc.).
- Radiometry - The study and measurement of electromagnetic radiation
- Remote sensing - Sensors which operate by wireless means
- Signal generation & recording - The generation and recording of various signals including audio recording, digital recording and noise generators
- Signals - Topics covering both types of signals, analog, where the signals are carried by continuously varying quantities, and digital, where the signals are restricted to a finite set of discrete values
- TV - Cable, digital, and mobile television are covered.
- Telegraphy - A system of telecommunication for the transmission of graphic symbols, usually letter of numerals, by the use of a signal code. Types include electrical, radio, and wireless.
- Telephony - The use of devices for voice communication, for example, cellular and digital telephone systems.
- Terrain mapping - Cartography and other methods and topics dealing with mapping
- UHF & VHF technology - The technologies used for "ultra-high" and "very-high" radio frequencies.
- Ultra wideband technology – Technologies using extremely narrow pulses and very wide frequencies
This category has the following 25 subcategories, out of 25 total.
Pages in category ‘Communications’
The following 804 pages are in this category, out of 804 total.
Media in category ‘Communications’
The following 72 files are in this category, out of 72 total.
- 4520-radio transmitter...
- Bell telephone 0624.jpg
- Bell Telephone 0625.jpg
- Edison ticker 0543.jpg
- Goldsmith WRC 0413.jpg
- Lifeboat Radio 1157.jpg
- Man radio tubes0063.jpg
- Morse sounder 0497.jpg
- National Electric Sign...
- Radio Operator 0062.jpg
- Radio Pulse Projector...
- Radiola Ad 0153.jpg
- RCA Radiogram 1182.jpg
- Stereo AM receiver1.jpg
- Telegraph Boy 0636.jpg
- Wheeler Radio0076.jpg
- WOR Studio 1189.jpg
- WOR Studio 1193.jpg
- Yagi Antenna 1572e.jpg
- Yagi Antenna 1572g.jpg
- Yagi Antenna 1573a.jpg
- Yagi Antenna 1573d.jpg