Philip S. Carter (IRE Student, 1948; Associate, 1950; and Member, 1956) was born in Glastonbury, Connecticut, on 22 July 1896 and died in 1961. He received the A.B. degree in mechanical engineering from Stanford University, California, in 1918.
Carter was employed by the General Electric Company in E. F. W. Alexanderson's radio laboratory, and was associated with H. H. Beverage in the early experiments leading to the development of the wave antenna. In 1920, he transferred to the Radio Corporation of America and assisted in the design of the VLF antennas at Rocky Point, New York. Five years later, in 1925, he joined the Transmission Laboratory at Rocky Point, where in association with C. W. Hansell and N. E. Lidenblad, he pioneered in the development of long-wire types of antennas for high frequencies. In 1942, the Rocky Point Laboratory became a branch of RCA Laboratories.
Carter, a well-known antenna expert, devoted more than forty years to the development of antennas.