Philip J . Franklin
- Riverside, CA, USA
- Death date
- IEEE Cledo Brunetti Award
Philip J . Franklin was born in Riverside, California on October 25, 1908. He attended the University of California where he received the Bachelor Degree in Physics in 1931.
From 1935 through 1942 he taught Physics and Chemistry in the Los Angeles school system. From 1942 to 1943 he was employed by the Evans Signal Laboratory but was on assignment to the Proximity Fuze development program at the National Bureau of Standards. In 1943 he formally joined the staff of the National Bureau of Standards as a research physicist in the Ordnance Division till 1948. From 1948 till 1951 he was Chief of the Materials Engineering Group of the Harry Diamond Ordnance Fuze Laboratory, part of the Department of the Army. From 1951 through 1959 he served as Chief of their Materials and Components Branch. From 1959 through 1962 he was the Chief of the Diamond Ordnance Fuze Laboratory Components Laboratory. In 1962 he joined the staff of the Advanced Research Project Agency in the Office of the Secretary of Defense as the Director of their AGILE Project, where he served until 1965. In 1965 he returned to NBS to serve as Deputy Chief of the Materials Evaluation Laboratory. In 1966 he was selected to organize, set up, and become first Director of the Materials Evaluation and Development Laboratory. This Laboratory, which serviced the needs of GSA, later passed completely under GSA administrative control. From 1968 till 1979 he was the Division Director of the Chemicals and Paints Division in the Office of Standards and Quality Control, which was part of the Federal Supply Service under GSA.
Mr. Franklin has received numerous awards and honors, among which are the Meritorious Service Award from the National Bureau of Standards and Incentive and Achievement Awards in Research and Development from the Diamond Ordnance Fuze Laboratory. He has been listed in the public ation "American Men and Women in Science".
Mr. Franklin was co-author of twenty-four chemical, physical and electronics publications, the work of which he directed. He was inventor of seven patents and co-inventor of six more, all of which are owned by the United States Government.
He has been an active member of the very distinguished Cosmos Club since 1955, and was a member of the American Chemical Society and the American Physical Society; a Senior Member of the Society of Radio Engineers; a Fellow in the Washington Academy of Sciences, the American Institute of Chemists, and a Life Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
Subsequent to being notified that he had been designated the corecipient of the Cledo Brunetti Award for his "contributions to materials, development, and fabrication techniques for miniature passive electronic components and assemblies", Philip J. Franklin died on January 22, 1979.
Mr. Franklin is survived by his beloved wife, Lillian, and his daughter, Jocelyn.