Conowingo Dam and Hydroelectric Station
The Conowingo Dam lies across the Susquehanna River upstream from the town of Port Deposit, Maryland, U.S.A. It began operation in 1928, supplying electricity to Philadelphia and Baltimore. Originally equipped with seven turbines rated for 36 megawatts each, its hydroelectric capacity was enhanced in 1978 with the addition of four 65-megawatt turbines. The eagles of Conowingo (at certain times of year there may be as many as three hundred present) are a draw for nature lovers. The dam is 109 feet high, and almost a mile long.