Milestones:Pearl Street Station, 1882
THE PEARL STREET GENERATING STATION, 1882
Thomas Alva Edison established the Edison Electric Illuminating Company of New York, now Consolidated Edison, to commercialize his 1879 incandescent lamp invention. On 4 September 1882, Edison’s direct current (dc) generating station at 257 Pearl Street, began supplying electricity to customers in the First District, a one-quarter square mile (0.65 square km) area. This installation was the forerunner of all central electric generating stations.
The milestone plaque may be viewed at the ConEdison headquarters building at 4 Irving Place, New York, NY.
Please see the detailed article by Carl Sulzberger attached below.
There is an article on the IEEE Global History Network on the Pearl Street Station [Pearl Street Station|http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/Pearl_Street_Station]
Letter from the site owner giving permission to place IEEE milestone plaque on the property
Proposal and Nomination
<googlemap controls="small" height="250" width="300" zoom="10" lon="-73.988637" lat="40.734135" version="0.9"> 40.734135, -73.988637 ConEdison, 4 Irving Place, New York, NY </googlemap>