IEEE Karachi Section History
|IEEE Karachi Section History|
| List of Subsections in this Section
Are you a member of this section? Please help expand the article by using the edit tab....
The IEEE Karachi Section is located in IEEE (Asia & Pacific) History named as IEEE Asia-Pacific Region. It was formed as Sub-Section on 22 May 1978, and later on upgraded to Section on 17 July 1982. It is one of the three Sections in Pakistan - Lahore, Karachi and Islamabad. Pakistan also have a sub-section at Peshawar as well. IEEE Karachi Section is located in the Southern part of Pakistan and comprises of two Provinces namely, Sindh and Balochistan.
The IEEE Karachi Section also have Chapters of Computer Society, Communications Society and a Joint Chapter of Control Society with IEEE Islamabad Section and Affinity Group of IEEE GOLD (Graduates of Last Decade). IEEE Karachi Section have 28 student entities' which includes 18 ', 5 IEEE Women in Engineering (WIE) Affinity Groups, 4 IEEE Student Chapters and IEEE GINI Project in the cities of Karachi, Jamshoro, Sukkur, Nawabshah and Quetta.
In 2012, the section is in its 35th year of working. Unnoticed Section's anniversary on May 22, 2012 (34 Years Old). During these so many years, Section has seen many ups and downs. The IEEE Karachi Section was very active till December 2004 and then reactivated in May 2008 under the leadership of S. Imranul Haque, Chair, IEEE Karachi Section. The IEEE Karachi Section have organized and participated in several national and international events both at Student and Professional levels, which includes seminars, exhibitions, congresses, , poster competitions, website competitions, project exhibitions, and workshops.
IEEE Karachi Section got three prestigeous awards in 2009 - R10 Larry K. Wilson Award and Richard E. Merwin Scholarship were achieved by Ravendar Lal, Student Volunteer of National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences, Karachi Campus. Won Bronze Honours in Green Technology - an Innovative Idea Competition sponsored by IEEE Singapore Section Power and Energy Society Chapter in IEEE 125th Anniversary Asia-Pacific Congress at Faculty of Engineering, National University of Singapore from 16th–19th July ‘09. The team comprises of student volunteers from Bangladesh, China, India, Korea, and Pakistan. The team lead by Saqib Munawwar, who was also the First Section Student Representative of IEEE Karachi Section and Student Volunteer of HIIT, Hamdard University, Karachi.
IEEE Karachi Section volunteer Mr. Ahsan Saeed got selected as a 2014 recipient of the Global MGA Young Professionals Achievement Award for exemplary contributions to IEEE Young Professionals in Region 10 and for continuous support to the IEEE Academic project. This is a very prestigious award which he got for the outstanding contributions he have made to numerous IEEE activities and the example he set in carrying forward the goals and objectives of the IEEE MGA Board.
IEEE Student Entities
IEEE Karachi Section have 28 Student Entities. These include:
- IEEE NEDUET Student Branch, Karachi (1983; Reactivated 1998 and 2008) firstname.lastname@example.org
- IEEE IIEE Student Branch, Karachi (1999) email@example.com
- IEEE UIT Student Branch, Karachi (2000)
- IEEE NUCES (FAST) Student Branch, Karachi (2001) firstname.lastname@example.org
- IEEE HIIT Student Branch, Karachi (September 05, 2002) http://www.ieee.org/go/hiit | email@example.com
- IEEE GSESIT Student Branch, Karachi (September 05, 2003)
- IEEE MUET Student Branch, Jamshoro
- IEEE JUW Student Branch, Karachi (2005)
- IEEE PIMSAT Student Branch, Karachi
- IEEE SZABIST Student Branch, Karachi
- IEEE Bahria University Student Branch, Karachi
- IEEE PNEC Student Branch, Karachi firstname.lastname@example.org
- IEEE BUITEMS Student Branch, Quetta (May 14, 2009)
- IEEE University of Sindh Student Branch, Jamshoro (March 29, 2010) email@example.com
- IEEE Iqra University Student Branch, Karachi (April 02, 2010)
- IEEE Quaid-e-Awam University of Engineering, Science, and Student Branch, Nawabshah (December 02, 2011)
- IEEE PAF-KIET Student Branch, Karachi
- IEEE IBA-Sukkur Student Branch, Sukkur (September 01, 2012)
- IEEE NEDUET WIE Student AG, Karachi (September 29, 2008) firstname.lastname@example.org
- IEEE BUITEMS WIE Student AG, Quetta (August 05, 2009)
- IEEE PNEC WIE Student AG, Karachi (October 06, 2009) email@example.com
- IEEE HIIT WIE Student AG, Karachi (July 16, 2010) firstname.lastname@example.org
- IEEE JUW WIE Student AG, Karachi (August 25, 2010)
- IEEE NUCES Computer Society Chapter, Karachi (June 08, 2009)
- IEEE NUCES Communications Society Chapter, Karachi email@example.com
- IEEE NUCES Chapter, Karachi (April 16, 2010)
- IEEE MUET Computer Society Chapter, Jamshoro (19 November 2012)
- IEEE GINI (Global Integrated Network of IEEE) Pakistan (May 2008)
- IEEE Indus University Student Branch
IEEE Karachi Section Office Bearers
The office bearers of IEEE Karachi Section for 2015 are:
Parkash Lohana - Chair [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Muhammad Shahab Siddiqui, PhD - Vice Chair [email@example.com]
Tahir Saleem - Secretary [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sarang Shaikh - Treasurer [email@example.com]
Salman Ahmed Noor - Section Student Representative [firstname.lastname@example.org]
IEEE Karachi Section organized following regular events (year-by-year) in relation with Industry and Academia:
- IEEE INMIC - International Multitopic Conference
- INMIC 2002 - KIIT
- INMIC 2005 - FAST-NU
- INMIC 2008 - Bahria University
- INMIC 2011 - SSUET
- IEEE SCONEST - Student Conference on Engineering Sciences and
- SCONEST 2003 - HIIT, Hamdard University
- SCONEST 2004 - JUW and PAF-KIET
- SCONEST 2005 - NEDUET
- SCONEST 2011 - MUET, Jamshoro
- SCONEST 2914 - Isra University, Hyderabad
- IEEE PSGWC - Pakistan Student/GOLD/WIE Congress
- PSC 2007 - FAST-NU
- PSC 2010 - UIT
- PSGWC 2013 - MUET, Jamshoro
- IEEE KSSC - Karachi Section Student Congress
- KSSC 2008 - PNEC
- KSSC 2012 - PNEC
- KSSC 2014 - Indus University
- IEEE ICIET - International Conference on Information and Emerging Technologies organized by FAST-NU (2007 and 2010)
- IEEE IC4 - International Conference on and Communication organized by PNEC (2007, 2009 and 2013*)
- IEEE ICICT - International Conference on Information and Communications Technologies organized by IBA (2009 and 2011)
- IEEE e-Indus organized by IEEE IIEE SB (Since 2000)
After its reactivation in May, IEEE Karachi Section try to streamline the relations with Industry and Academia. Academia was most favouring in response.
Students from IEEE Karachi Section particiapted in 2nd IEEE Pakistan Student Congress held at IEEE GCUF, Faisalabad in August 16-18, 2008. December 2008, was a special month for the Section when two were held next to eachother. They were 12th IEEE International Multitopic Conference 2008 (INMIC 2008) held during 23-24 December at Bahria University, Karachi and First IEEE Karachi Section Student Congress 2008 (KSSC 2008) on December 26, 2008 at IEEE PNEC Student Branch.
IEEE Karachi Section have an eventful year of 2009. We held two professional IEEE - 2nd IEEE IC4 2009 at Pakistan Navy Engineering College, Karachi in February 2009 and other was 3rd IEEE ICICT 2009 organized by IBA Karachi and held at Hotel Ramada International, Karachi on 15-16 August 2009. IEEE Karachi Section was extended to Quetta, Balochistan yet another city and another province in form of IEEE BUITEMS Student Branch. IEEE Karachi Section Newsletter was started and launched its first issue in May 2009 designed and developed by IEEE NUCES Student Branch. Second issue was designed and developed by IEEE NEDUET Student Branch in September 2009.
Students from IEEE Karachi Section particiapted in 3rd IEEE Pakistan Student Congress held at NUST-SEECS, Islamabad in May 2009 and in IEEE 125th Anniversary Asia-Pacific Student Congress held in Singapore in July 2009. IEEE eIndus 2009 was organized by IEEE IIEE Student Branch in April 2009. was organized by IEEE NEDUET Student Branch in August 2009. IEEE Xtreme Competition 2009 was organized at IEEE NUCES (National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences) Student Branch on 24th October 2009. As an Industry-Academia Liaison, IEEE Karachi Section in under-going with a project on "Solar Geaser" at IEEE PNEC Student Branch with the sponsorship of Engro Pakistan.
IEEE Karachi Section got three prestigeous awards in 2009 - R10 Larry K . Wilson Award and Richard E. Merwin Scholarship were achieved by Ravendar Lal, Student Volunteer of National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences, Karachi Campus. Won Bronze Honours in Green an Innovative Idea Competition sponsored by IEEE Singapore Section Chapter – in IEEE 125th Anniversary Asia-Pacific Student Congress at Faculty of Engineering, National University of Singapore from 16th–19th July ‘09. The team comprises of student volunteers from Bangladesh, China, India, Korea, and Pakistan. The team lead by Saqib Munawwar, who was also the First Section Student Representative of IEEE Karachi Section and Student Volunteer of Hamdard Institute of , Karachi.
IEEE Karachi Section are also active part of IEEE GINI Project of IEEE .
The Annual General Meeting 2009 was held at DA Sunset Club, Karachi on February 18, 2010. The IEEE Karachi Section celeberated IEEE 125th Anniversary Celebrations at Iqra University, Karachi on February 20, 2010. Also trying to extend its horizon of Student Branches to another city - Nawabshah (at QUEST). The IEEE Karachi Section already exists in Karachi, Jamshoro, and Quetta, which are the cities of Sindh and Balochistan Provinces.
Under the leadership of Parkash Lohana, hoping for better IEEE Karachi Section in 2010. The IEEE Karachi Section for the first time participated in any exhibition, Connect IT 2010 which was held during May 08-10, 2010 at Karachi Expo Centre, Karachi, Pakistan. Section also arrange stalls for Hamdard University, National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences (FAST), Pakistan Navy Engineering College, Iqra University, and Usman Institute of . All universities displayed their Final Year Projects, which were well witnessed by the exhibition audiance and students get good exposure and response from Industry and R&D .
2nd IEEE International Conference on Information and Emerging Technologies (ICIET 2010) was organized from June 14 to 16, 2010 at National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences, Karachi Campus. IEEE Karachi Section was one of the partners in ICIET 2010. During the process of review of the conference ICIET 2010 received 260 papers and after two-tier review process 74 papers were selected. Two foreign keynote speakers were there. Dr. Sang Lyul Min, Professor from Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea gave presentation on “The Process of ” and Dr. Abbas Zaidi, Research Associate Professor from George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, on “New trends in and ”. A Panel Discussion on the topic “Pros and Cons of Social Media”.
Doctoral Symposium was held along with ICIET 2010 on June 15, 2010. 6 PhD Students from 3 different universities namely, GIKI, Hamdard University and FAST-NU participated in it. Their research topics are Tunable , Community , Data in , Workflows, Data Provenance, and Sensor GRID for .
4th IEEE Pakistan Student Congress 2010 (PSC 2010) was organized by Usman Institute of on October 29-31, 2010. Delegates from IEEE Sections and from Lahore and Islamabad participated in it. During IEEE PSC 2010, we had CIO Campus Coversation, AG Presentations, Leadership Seminars, Career / Study Guidance Seminars, WIE Session, and First IEEE Ethics Competition.
Joint IEEE Sections Meeting was held on October 29, 2010 at Boat Club, Karachi. Delegates from IEEE Lahore Section and IEEE Islamabad Section along with ExCom Members of IEEE Karachi Section discuss on issues related to INMIC, Joint Chapter, relation with IEEEP, and Project Proposal of IEEE Flood Fund.
From 2010, IEEE Karachi Section will be issuing newsletter bi-annually. First issue (July 2010) developed by our newly established Student Branch at University of Sindh (IICT). It covered the period of January to June 2010 and approved in ExCom Meeting on August 10, 2010. IEEE UIT Student Branch was responsible for the second issue, which covers period from July to December 2010 and appeared in January 2011.
The Annual General Meeting 2010 was held at DA Sunset Club, Karachi on January 25, 2011. The IEEE Karachi Section organized 2 International during 2011. Namely, 4th ICICT 2011 at IBA, Karachi from July 23-24, 2011 and 14th IEEE INMIC 2011 at SSUET, Karachi from December 22-24, 2011. Another Student Conference SCONEST 2011 was organized at MUET, Jamshoro on July 28-29, 2011. The IEEE Karachi Section also participated in ConnectIT 2011 at Expo Center, Karachi from May 3-5, 2011.
The Annual General Meeting 2011 was held at DA Sunset Club, Karachi on January 20, 2012. We organized Workshop at PAF-KIET on March 25, 2012, having Dr. Muhammad Mohiuddin the resource person. Having a Joint Chapter of Control Society with IEEE Islamabad Section, organized Seminars on Control of Lateral Dynamic of an AUU on May 22, 2012 and Navigational System on July 03, 2012. Section Vice Chair and Secretary/Treasurer also participated in ICCET 2012 at Shah Abdul Lateef University, Khairpur on April 14-15, 2012.
Section will be IEEE Karachi Section Student Congress at IEEE PNEC SB on October 04, 2012, IEEE Karachi Section Project Competition - TechnoExpo on December 21-22, 2012, IEEE SCONEST 2012 (Conference) at IEEE PAF KIET SB on December 24, 2012 and IEEE IC4 2013 (Conference) at PNEC-NUST on February 27-28, 2013.
IEEE Karachi Section Computer Society Chapter
The office bearers for 2014:
Dr. Shakeel Ahmed Khoja - Chair [email@example.com]
Following were chaired by Dr. Roshan Shaikh in 2009 were:
- “Towards the Development of Community Algorithm” by Muhammad Shahab Siddiqui on February 7, 2009
- “Ontology Approach Towards Databases” by Muhammad Rafi at FAST‐NU on April 4, 2009
- “Agent Based Systems in Mapping of a Human Mind", A lecture by Dr. Roshan Shaikh at Iqra University on October 3, 2009
- “Innovation in the Business of Education” by Dr. Roshan Shaikh at Iqra University on November 7, 2009
- “New Horizons in the Software Development Systems” by Dr. Roshan Shaikh at Iqra University on December 5, 2009
- “Research and Publication Methods for Engineers” by Dr. Nadeem at Iqra University on March 7, 2009
- “Collaborative Role of Academia and Business” by Dr. Roshan Shaikh at Iqra University on January 3, 2009
- “Network Security and Risk Management” by Dr. Roshan Shaikh at Iqra University on February 7, 2009
IEEE Karachi Section Communications Society Chapter
The office bearers for 2014:
Prof. Dr. Engr. Bhawani Shankar Chowdhry - Chair [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Following of Communications Society chaired by Dr. Mohammad Shahid Shaikh in 2009 were:
Workshop on “Stochastic Processes in Communication Theory” at FAST‐NU on May 11, 2009
- “Network Survivability : A Quantitative Approach with Applications in Wireless Adhoc Networks” by Nadim Kafi Khan
- “Finite‐State Markov Modeling of : A survey of principles and applications” by Muhammad Irshad Nazeer
- “Importance Analysis with Markov Chains” by Muhammad Rafi
◦ “Reverse Engineering Gene Regulatory Networks” by Nouman Durrani
- “Why Gaussianity?” by Asim Amin
- “Impact of Small on Space‐Based Solution to Problems” by Ing. Giorgio Perrotta, General Manager, pacesSys, Italy at IICT, MUET on September 5, 2009
- “Pros and Cons of Network Coding” by Nadim Kafi Khan at FAST‐NU on October 19, 2009
- “Network Coding” by Nouman Durrani at FAST‐NU on October 26, 2009
IEEE Karachi Section GOLD Affinity Group
The office bearers for 2015 are:
Muhammad Rabeet Sagri - Chair
Murtaza Hanif - Vice Chair
Hassam Mughal - Secretary
Sohail Sarang - Treasurer
The office bearers for 2013 are:
Syed Ahmed Fuad - Chair
Syed Hassaan Idrees - Vice Chair
Fariha Majeed - Secretary
Sarang S. Shaikh - Joint Secretary and Technical Events Coordinator
Ahsan Saeed - Treasurer
Following events were organized:
- IEEE Career Meet 2009 on 16th May 2009 at PNEC
- 35 + 200 other participated
- 20+ internships + 100+ students
- Microsoft Web Technologies Workshop on 16‐17th October 2009 at PNEC
- PLC Training on 30th October 2009 at Siemens
- “Telenor Pakistan Success Story” by Ahsan Raza, Consultant, LCC
- “Banking IT Sector” by Mansoor, Sr Manager, TPS 1Link
- “Embedded Systems Trends” by Zafar Khan, CTO, WaveTec
- “Telecom Industry” by Mohsin Jafri, Zumbeel.net
- Several introductory lectures at
IEEE Karachi Section likes to appreciate the services of IEEE volunteers for their contributions towards the working of effective Section. These volunteers includes:
Abdul Jabbar Bozdar, Abdul Mohamed N. Sheriff, Abdur Rahman Javaid Shaikh, Abid Karim, Adeel Nafees, Ahsan Saeed, Ammar Faheem, Anum Ansari Kamran, Anum Sayani, Arsalan Minhas, Arsalan Tariq Mir, Ashab Mirza, Asif Zia, Asim-ur-Rehman Khan, Bhawani Shankar Chowdhry, Dania Hanif, Fariha Majeed, Fasih Ahmed Masood, Hira Wajahat Malik, Huma Tarique, Jason F. Pereira, Jibran Jamshed, Khurram Hussain, Misbahuddin Ahmed, Mohammad Shahid Shaikh, Moiz Rahman Memon, Muhammad Hanan Daudpota, Muhammad Junaid Khan, Muhammad Mashood Alam, Muhammad Mohiuddin, Muhammad Qasim Pasta, Muhammad Rabeet Sagri, Muhammad Saad, Muhammad Saad Zafar, Muhammad Salman Atique, Muhammad Shahab Siddiqui, Muhammad Yasir Khan, Mustafa Rashid, Neelma Bhatti, Nimra Kazmi, Nimrah Parvez Hashmi, Noman Palijo, Om Perkash Batra, Parkash Lohana, Qurat-ul-Ain, Rabia Khalid, Raisul Haque Adnan (Late), Ravendar Lal, Rehma Javed, Roshan Shaikh, Salman Ahmed Noor, Saqib Munawwar, Sarang S. Shaikh, Shahid Suleman Jan, Shaikh Imranul Haque, Shakeel Ahmed Khoja, Shiraz Latif Memon, Shoaib Feroz, Sohaib Qamer, Sana Siddiqui, Sana Syed, Sayed Hyder Abbas Musavi, Sophia Hasnain, Syed Ahmed Fuad, Syed Ali Asad Rizvi, Syed Hassaan Idrees, Syed Kashif Ali Alvi, Syed Misbahuddin, Syed Onib Nasir, Tahir Saleem, Tariq Rahim Soomro, Uzair Saeed, Valiuddin Abbas, Waseem Ahmed Khan, Yasar Noor, Zubair Ahmed Shaikh and Zuhaibullah Khan
- 1 Background
- 2 Achievements
- 3 IEEE Student Entities
- 4 IEEE Karachi Section Office Bearers
- 5 Regular Events
- 6 IEEE Karachi Section Computer Society Chapter
- 7 IEEE Karachi Section Communications Society Chapter
- 8 IEEE Karachi Section GOLD Affinity Group
- 9 Section Volunteers