IEEE Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Society History
September 16, 1963 - First meeting of the Professional Technical Group on Electrical Insulation.
May 8, 1964 - Name changed to Group on Electrical Insulation.
January 1, 1978 - Name changed to Electrical Insulation Society
February 5, 1986 - Name changed to Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Society.
The Dielectrics and Insulation Society's sponsors the IEEE Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena (CEIDP). The first "real" meeting was first held on September 20, 1920 at the Western Electric Company's Engineering Building in New York City. The meeting was chaired by Dr. Frank B. Jewett who later became the first president of Bell Laboratories. The conference was a joint undertaking of the National Research Council (NRC) and the American Institute of Electrical Engineers (AIEE) in its early years and that the meeting was not held in 1921, 1922, and 1942-1945. After 1932, the NRC seems to have been the sole sponsor of the CEIDP until 1980. In 1981, the IEEE and its DEIS took over responsibility for the CEIDP.
In his 1950 paper, William A. Del Mar, in the annual report of the conference pointed out that the conventional numbering of the conferences was wrong, as it starts only in 1928 when the NRC took over again. The NRC (under the auspices of the National Academies) was responsible for the meetings of 1920, 1929-1931, 1933-1941, and 1946-1980, while AIEE/IEEE were mainly responsible for the meetings of 1923-1928, 1932, 1981-2017.
Are you a member of this society? Please help expand the article by using the edit tab.