France Builds Visual Telegraph
This article is a stub. Please help expand the article by using the edit tab.
In July 1794 Claude Chappe, assisted by two of his brothers, completed a telegraph line consisting of fifteen stations between Paris and Lille. The first telegram on the 210 km Paris-Lille line was sent on 15 August 1794. It reported the recapture of Le Quesnoy.