IEEE Latvia Section History
Are you a member of this section? Please help expand the article by using the edit tab....
The IEEE Latvia Section is part of Region 8 and covers the area of the Republic of Latvia.
The first talks about foundation of IEEE Latvia Section started in 2004, when IEEE Lithuania Section Officers visiting Riga Technical University. Finally, in 2007, during the meeting of European Nordic and Baltic countries IEEE Section officers, which was held in Riga, IEEE members from Latvia formed petition for the creation of Latvia Section.
IEEE Latvia Section was founded February 16, 2008, with the first elected Chair Professor Leonids Ribickis. Since its creation, the Latvia Section has been working professionally in various activities, mainly within the city of Riga.
|2008||Armands Srazds – Deputy Chair|
|2009|| Leonids Ribickis
||Elmars Bekeris||Armands Srazds||Atis Kapenieks|
|2010||Leonids Ribickis||Andrejs Romanovs||Oskars Krievs||Atis Kapenieks|
|2011||Leonids Ribickis||Andrejs Romanovs||Oskars Krievs||Atis Kapenieks|
As of 1 January 2011, the IEEE Latvia Section has a total of 141 active members.
CHAPTERS/AFFINITY GROUPS/STUDENT BRANCHES
- 2009, IEEE Education Society Latvia Chapter was founded, with the first elected Chair Mr. Armands Strazds.
- 2010, IEEE Computer Society Latvia Chapter was founded, with the first elected Chair Professor Janis Grundspenkis.
- January 2011, the Latvia Section announced the foundation of a Joint Chapter of IEEE Power Electronic Society, IEEE Industrial Electronic Society and IEEE Industrial Application Society
- April 2011, IEEE Latvia Section Student Branch is planned to be founded.
THE BALTIC COOPERATION
The IEEE Latvia Section participates in a group titled the Baltic Cooperation, which consists of the following IEEE Sections: Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Poland, Russia North-West, and Sweden. The objective of the IEEE Baltic Cooperation is to create a functioning collaboration between the Baltic Region sections which shall result in common activities, such as; joint events, joint chapters and common utilization of IEEE resources.
- October 2009, Celebration of 125th Anniversary of IEEE. Plenary report: “Scientific Research in Riga Technical University in 2009”, speaker Professor Leonids Ribickis, attendance: more than 200 IEEE members and guests from different countries.
- May 2010, IEEE Region 8 94th Committee Meeting in Riga, Latvia, May 7-9, 2010. Region 8 Committee awarded Latvia Section for Exemplary Service and Dedication as a host of the 94th IEEE Region 8 Committee Meeting.