J. Allen Johnson
- Northboro, MA, USA
- Death date
- Associated organizations
- Buffalo Niagara Eastern Power Corporation
- Fields of study
J. Allen Johnson, 1934 -1935, served as the chief electrical engineer of the Buffalo Niagara Eastern Power Corporation.
Johnson was AIEE president from 1934 to 1935.
Joseph Allen Johnson was born at Northboro, Mass., June 21, 1882, and received his early education in the schools of that town. He was graduated from the Worcester Polytechnic Institute with the degree of Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering in 1905.
From 1905 to 1912, he was employed in electrical engineering work by the Ontario Power Company of Niagara Falls, being appointed electrical engineer of that company in 1912. In 1912 this company was purchased by the Hydroelectric Power Cormnission of Ontario, of which Mr. Johnson became assistant engineer, but still retained his other position. In 1918 he was appointed electrical engineer of the Cliff Electrical Distributing Company and hydraulic Power Company of Niagara Falls, N.Y., and with the consolidation of these companies and the old Niagara Falls Power Company to form The Niagara Falls Power Company in 1918, he became electrical engineer of the enlarged company. In this capacity he was responsible for many important features of the electrical design of the Niagara developments during the period of their rapid growth from 1918 to 1924. In 1929, he was appointed chief electrical engineer of the Buffalo Niagara Eastern Power Corporation, which position he now holds.
Mr. Johnson has contributed to the Institute several important technical papers on such subjects as reactors in hydroelectric stations, the retardation method of determining losses in hydroelectric generating units, fire protection in a.c. generators, and operating aspects of reactive power. As joint author he has also made contributions on power developments at Niagara Falls, lightning protection for transformers, and fundamentals of design of electric energy delivery systems, the latter to be presented at the coming winter convention.
He joined the Institute as an Associate in 1907, and was transferred to the grade of Fellow in December 1927. He has served as a member of the electrochemistry and electrometalurgy, electrical machinery, protective devices and research committees. He became a director of the Institute in 1928, served as chairman of the membership committee for the years 1929-31, and is at present Chairman of the National Committee on transfers as well as of a special committee on dues of Associates and Related Matters. He is also a member of the executive committee and Vice President of the Northeastern District (No. 1). He was organizer and first chairman of the Niagara Frontier Section and served in that capacity from the Gate of its organization, February 10, 1925. to July 31, 1926. It is also of interest that he was the first chairman of the W.P.I. branch of the Institute in 1905.
Besides his Institute activities, Mr. Johnson served the former National Electric Light Association as chairman of its Electrical Apparatus Committee, as a member of its Power Systems Engineering Committee, and is at present Chairman of the Electrical Equipment Committee of the Edison Electric Institute. He is also a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and a member of the Electrical Standards Committee of the American Standards Association.
See also: Papers of Joseph Allen Johnson