IEEE Winston-Salem Section History
|IEEE Winston-Salem Section History|
|IEEE Council||North Carolina|
| List of Subsections in this Section
The Winston-Salem Section traces its roots back to the American Institute of Electrical Engineers (AIEE) and the Institute of Radio Engineers (IRE). Prior to World War II, electrical engineering was power engineering in both the universities and industry. In 1947, the Western Electric Company moved their Radio Division to Winston-Salem, NC and a new era began, first called radio and then electronics. Many of the engineers that came with Western Electric/Bell Labs corporation held membership in AIEE and IRE. By 1949, they formed the Mid-State Subsection of the North Carolina Section of AIEE. The Mid-State Subsection later became know as the Winston-Salem Subsection, beginning the section's beginning of our fifty-year history.
After the AIEE and IRE was merged to form the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers the present Winston-Salem Section was formed on November 3, 1965 to serve the members in 9 northwestern counties of North Carolina. IEEE member who live in Ashe, Alleghany, Davidson, Davie, Forsyth, Stokes, Surry, Wilkes, or Yadkin County can be members of the Winston-Salem Section.