IEEE Eastern North Carolina Section History
|IEEE Eastern North Carolina Section History|
|IEEE Council||North Carolina|
|Geographic region||Eastern North Carolina|
|List of Subsections in this Section|
While the IEEE Eastern North Carolina Section has a history that dates back to its establishment in 1965, IEEE has an even deeper history in the eastern North Carolina area. A student branch of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers was established at North Carolina State College (now North Carolina State University) in 1910. A student chapter of the Institute of Radio Engineers was established at the same school in 1947. When the AIEE and the IRE merged in 1963 to form the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, the two student chapters, which had been meeting jointly since at least 1955, also merged to form a student branch of the IEEE. Today, the charters of all three organizations are proudly displayed in the IEEE Student Branch Office at NCSU.
Originally, the Eastern North Carolina Section was a subsection of the statewide North Carolina section of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers, which was organized in Charlotte, North Carolina, on March 22, 1929. According to a press release sent out in November 1955, "the North Carolina Section is comprised of members of the electrical engineering industry throughout the state." The following year, the North Carolina Section of AIEE had 474 members. In 1963, the North Carolina Section of AIEE became part of the merged IEEE.
The Institute of Radio Engineers in North Carolina began as part of the Virginia-North Carolina Section of the IRE in 1955. Two years later, the North Carolina IRE Section was created as a separate entity. The North Carolina IRE Section met jointly with AIEE from about 1955 until the merger of AIEE and IRE in 1963.
With the development of the Research Triangle Park in the Raleigh-Durham area in the early 1960s and technological growth in other parts of the state, the individual subsections of the North Carolina Section were established as standalone sections. The Eastern North Carolina Section was established on November 9, 1965, and will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2015.