- Redfield, OH, USA
- AIEE Lamme Medal
Charles E. Skinner, 1931 -1932, in charge of the insulation design and magnetic testing departments at Westinghouse Company, and he later organized a research division for the company’s engineering department. Skinner was also active in the field of international standardization.
Skinner was AIEE president from 1931 to 1932.
An unusual record of service has been made by Charles Edward Skinner, who not only spent over 42 years participating in the engineering development of one industrial concern, but who has worked for the advancement of the entire profession for a period of many years. His record with the Institute is striking, in that he has served on 17 of its committees, having been chairman of several of these, and has been its representative on 10 other bodies. As an officer, in addition to having been president, he was manager 1915-19, and vice-president 1919-20. Doctor Skinner was born near Redfield, Ohio, May 30, 1865. He studied at Ohio University and Ohio State University, graduating from the latter in 1890 with the degree of M.E. On August 16, 1890, he joined the organization of the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company and remained with that company continuously until his retirement from the company January 1, 1933. Living at Wilkinsburg, Pa., he has continued his support of the Institute’s affairs and has taken part in many other endeavors.
His first position with the Westinghouse Company was as a machinist in charge of the manufacture of railway controllers. In 1891 he was put in charge of all insulation design as well as testing, and in 1892, in addition, took up magnetic testing and the development of magnetic materials. He remained in charge of this latter work for many years.
In 1906 Doctor Skinner organized the research division of the engineering department of the Company, and was responsible for the organization and equipment of the chemical, physical, and process laboratories, as well as the high voltage test laboratories. Through his efforts a laboratory for more fundamental research was determined upon in 1915, and he had charge of the building, equipping, and organization of the personnel of the laboratory. In 1920 he was made manager of the research department, having direct charge for the next 2 years. In 1922 he was made assistant director of engineering, holding this position until his retirement at the beginning of 1933.
Doctor Skinner has for many years been particularly active in the field of standardization and has been chairman of American and international standards associations. He has many times been a delegate to international congresses and commissions at meetings in various cities in Europe, and in Japan, and was chairman of the American delegation at 2 of the meetings of the International Electrotechnical Commission.
Doctor Skinner is a member of a very large number of technical societies, and has published many writings on insulation, testing, magnetic, research, standardization, and education. In 1927 he received the honorary degree of doctor of science from Ohio University. In 1931 Doctor Skinner was awarded the Lamme Medal of Ohio State University, one of the 3 medals established by the late Benjamin G. Lamme.